Sunday, January 22, 2012

PEPPER STEAK

    

      I was over 30 before it dawned on me that not everybody ate this.  This is the version I grew up with.  Home in a bowl.  I categorize it as beef but it could be a soup or stew. 


1 lb. Sirloin cut into chunks or strips
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1/4 c. chopped onion-I like onions so I just use one whole onion
1 clove garlic
1 tsp. Salt
pepper
1 cup beef broth or water
3 cups of fresh tomatoes cut in eighths, or the equivalent in canned tomatoes  (include the juice)
1 large green pepper, sliced
2 Tbsp cornstarch
½ cup cold water
2 Tbsp soy sauce

Brown meat in oil slowly; add garlic and onion, salt, pepper beef broth or water; cover, simmer 25 minutes; add tomatoes, peppers and cook 10 minutes; combine cornstarch, water and soy sauce and add to meat. Cook five minutes more. Serve over rice or noodles.

No comments:

Post a Comment